6 Tips for Creating A Successful Blog
HAVE A PURPOSE IN MIND
Start with Why? Why do you want to share your knowledge? Why is your point of view different? Why will people be interested in what you have to say? Why are you picking this particular subject?
If you want a successful blog so that you can make money, so you pick a popular subject with the intention of learning as you go. You are starting in the wrong place! If you want to share the knowledge you have gained as a mom and volleyball coach, you will have a direction filled with content. You will also have a solid niche audience, which leads us to niche....
KNOW YOUR NICHE
Knowing who you are writing to will make blogging SO MUCH EASIER! The truth is, you will not appeal to everyone. So DON'T TRY! It will just wear you out and your voice will be lost. Focus in on your tribe and go with it. Taking the example from the previous point: A mom/volleyball coach will have so much to share to other mom/coaches, working moms, future female coaches, etc. She would not, however, have tons of advice and antidotes for Single Musicians. That’s OK! FOCUS PEOPLE!
CREATE A WONDERFUL NAME
When you are first deciding on the name of your blog, answer these 4 questions:
- What is your niche? Write down words associated with that niche.
- My first blog was a health and fitness blog to record a 50 pound weight loss journey. I wrote down things like: food, weight, fat, work, exercise, sweat, cookies, run, workout, fit mom...etc.
- What need are you filling? Jot down ideas for how you can achieve this.
- I wrote down things like inspiration, goal setting, being real, showing struggles, share recipes, share workouts, track food, post progress photos
- What images come to mind? Find graphics that inspire the look and feel you are dreaming of.
- I looked for plus size gals who workout. I looked for people who looked like me in workout clothes doing the things I hoped to be able to do. One of my main inspirations was Katie at Runs For Cookies.
- Is it important to include your own name? This is important. If you have a unique name you are proud of, then USE IT! If you are okay being known by a brand instead of a name, then go for it. Make sure it is something you can live with.
- Since my last name is Selvarengaraju (SAY WHAT?!?!), I opted out of using my last name. I could have used my first name, but Sarah is so generic...I opted out of that too.
What did I ultimately come up with? Picture a chubby mom of 2, hustling between making food, preschool drop off, play dates, the grocery store, and workouts while trying to be healthy. Alas, Crumbs In My Sportsbra was born.
READ, STUDY, LEARN, READ SOME MORE!
It is so important to read, study, and learn about blogging, writing, building a brand, building a site, using the elements of your website. You can have the best stories and amazing advice, but if you do not proofread….no one will read it. If you can’t make graphics to go on social media for attention grabbing, no one will know to come read your content. If you have no opt-in, you will not know who is reading your stuff or how to get them coming back. It is important to educate yourself. The alternative is a live word document about your life. BORING!
It is very important that you read, study and learn but even more important than that, it is absolutely crucial that you practice what you’ve learned.
Connecting with other bloggers, either in your niche or just in general , is super valuable. Here are some of the awesome benefits of blogging communities:
- Helps you to meet and build relationship with other bloggers: This is one of the best benefits of joining blogging communities. You get to meet new faces and bloggers everyday.
- Share your post: you can share your recent post to the community and get traffic.
- Can engage and share each other’s stuff: we can help each other to explore our blogs by sharing
- Drive massive traffic to your blog: if you get some up-votes to your submitted post, you can get massive from these blogging communities, the key is to stay active on these communities.
- Get new trends: since people are sharing their latest posts, you’ll get insights of new trends and ideas. This will help you to improve your blogging knowledge.
Here are a few of the blogging communities I am a part of: